Volunteer Position for AWE in Autism
(With Potential to Become the Next President)
Who should apply?
This is strictly a volunteer position; if you’re seeking monetary compensation, it’s not for you. However, if you have a genuine desire to make a difference for the better within the autism community, you’ll be rewarded with the tremendous satisfaction of knowing you’ve contributed something of great value.
We’re looking for someone who can reasonably expect to continue in the role long-term; college students are welcome to apply, but should not consider this a “project.” Continuity and stability are important to our site visitors, and therefore to us. Please do not apply if you’re just looking for a temporary role.
What to expect if you are chosen for the position:
You’ll determine your own hours. Ideally, you’ll publish at least one new article on the website every month and post a relevant comment or link on Facebook at least 2-3 times a week —but as long as fresh content is being generated on a regular basis, it’s up to you how much time you spend and when you spend it.
Once the founders are satisfied that you’re sincere about making AWE in Autism the best it can be and that you have the knowledge, skills and passion to do it, you will become the new president of the organization. (Before that happens, we’ll walk you through everything, for as many times and as long as it takes for you to feel completely comfortable and confident in the role.)
The founders will remain as such, and will retain the rights to the domain and the website and will pay for the cost of hosting the site. Current president Deborah French will continue to oversee all operations and will have the right to make changes, omissions and additions to any and all content. Both founding partners (Deborah French and Kim Covell-Motz) will retain the right to make final decisions on any and all aspects of the organization and its platforms, current and future.
To be considered, you must:
- Have excellent writing skills
- Be adept at all basic computer skills and be internet savvy. (The position does not require any sophisticated tech skills; if you can post on Facebook, you can do this.)
- Be able to explain why you want the position
- Understand and believe that autism means different things to different people, and that many of those on the spectrum strongly object to the idea of a “cure.” (If you have trouble accepting different perspectives and being sensitive to people you disagree with, please do not apply.)
- Be willing to uphold the mission, goals and values as outlined in the About section of the website.
- Actively searching the internet for individuals with autism or who are in some way connected to the autism community who have demonstrated a particular creative ability and contacting them (or their caretakers, if applicable) to ask if they’d like to be featured on AWE and directing them to the submission guidelines.
- Responding to email from site visitors
- Posting on Facebook
- Editing articles submitted and writing introductory paragraphs for each
- Resizing photos (No prior experience necessary; we’ll walk you through it. Easy peasy.)
- Posting new articles on the AWE website
- Adding new resources submitted
Only those seriously interested in taking on these responsibilities should apply. If that’s you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following:
- A brief self-introduction explaining why you want the position
- Your writing/editing background (it’s not essential that you have a related degree or professional experience as long as you can demonstrate excellent writing and grammar skills)
- Your view on why the AWE in autism website is valuable to those in the autism community
- A paragraph explaining your personal perspective on autism as it relates to both children and adults
ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS WHO ARE BEING CONSIDERED WILL RECEIVE A REPLY. IF YOU DO NOT HEAR FROM US AND THERE IS NO ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SELECTED CANDIDATE ON THE WEBSITE HOME PAGE, PLEASE BE PATIENT AND DO NOT SEND EMAIL ASKING IF A DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. REST ASSURED THAT WE WILL READ EVERY APPLICATION AND THAT WE WILL CONTACT YOU IF YOU ARE BEING CONSIDERED. OUR DECISION WILL BE POSTED AS SOON AS WE’VE MADE OUR SELECTION.